Apply for a New Adult Passport: Standard Requirements to Apply

Standard Requirements for a New Adult Passport

  • Complete an Adult Passport Application: Complete, download & print the DS-11 application form (This form is an application for US Passport) from the government website.
    • DO NOT sign the application form until a Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so. This form will go inside the envelope from the Acceptance Agent.
    • NOTE: If your passport application processing time is 6 or more days, we will need a second copy of the application form attached to our Letter of Authorization form. This second copy cannot be given to the passport acceptance office but must be submitted with the sealed envelope you receive from the acceptance office.

Fill Out the Application Here

  • Complete 3 copies of our LOA (Letter of Authorization): The Letter of Authorization simply enables us to act in the capacity necessary to resolve and answer any problems that may arise, to submit your passport application, and pick up your passport (and any related documents) when it has been issued by the Passport Agency.
    • NOTE: Be sure to include an additional copy of your LOA in your packet.

Letter of Authorization

  • Photograph: In order to fill in a passport application for adults, you will need two recent, clear, front view, in color, professional 2″x2″ passport photos of the applicant with a plain white or off-white background.
    • In color
    • Printed on matte or glossy photo-quality paper
    • 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
    • Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template below for more size requirement details.
    • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
    • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
    • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
    • With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open

  • Itinerary: Copy of your round-trip ticket, reservation, or letter from a travel agency under the applicant’s name, listing flight number and arrival/departure dates, and reservation code provided by the airline/cruise company;
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship: Original certified copy if U.S. Birth Certificate (must contain Both Parent’s names, Hospital Name, and has the registrar’s raised, embossed, or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office; which must be within 1 year of your birth.) Please note that some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.
    • A previous valid U.S. Passport
    • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS – 240)
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS – 1350)
    • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from the USCIS
  • Primary Identification: Please provide one of the following documents.
    • A previously issued & undamaged U.S. passport
    • A Valid Driver’s License
    • A Naturalization Certificate
    • A Current Government ID (sit, state or federal). Or
    • A Current Military ID (for military applicants and dependents)
  • Payment to Government: You will need a check made payable to the U.S. Department of State for $209.53 as well as a $35 CASH execution fee to the Acceptance Agent as your new adult passport cost. These are government fees. Your Payment to Fast Passports & Visas is for the expediting of your passport processing, But the Federal Government still requires their standard fees for a new passport for adults.
    • NOTE: Please indicate your Date of Birth in the memo field of your check.
  • Acceptance Agent: After fulfilling all the requirements for an adult passport application and once all documents have been gathered you will need to have them sealed by an Acceptance Agent.


Find the nearest Acceptance Agent

Proceed to Checkout

If you have never had a U.S. passport, please visit our New Adult Passport or Child Passport page for information on application requirements, application fees, and where to apply.


Can I apply my application online?

If you are applying an DS-11, it is mandatory to visit the office and fill the form in person.

Can i get my passport on the same day?

You can, of course! With Fast Passport and Visas, you may have your passport expedited and obtain it in as little as 8 hours if you’re in a serious haste, have an emergency, or are simply in a last-minute panic.

Can green card holders get a US passport?

If you have a green card, you will soon be able to obtain a US passport after you become a citizen of the US. In other words, a green card cannot be used to get or renew a US passport. To own a US passport or US passport card, you must be a citizen of the US.

How to apply for US passport?

You must visit a passport acceptance center in person to submit your completed application, as well as any required fees, supporting papers, and photo.

How long does an adult passport last?

The validity of an adult passport in USA is 10 years. After the passport expires, you can apply for passport renewal.

Call Now ButtonCALL NOW